Friday, October 1, 2010

Repairing a Argument


Arguments can be good or bad depending on the way they are presented. If your argument is not effective and not presented well it will be hard to convince your audience of your view of the argument. To correctly convey your argument you may need to repair it and fine-tune it so your arguments and premises make sense so your audience will follow your ideas and understand your arguments.  An example of an argument that needs to be repaired would be “I love listening to music, so Joe must get a iPod”. This argument doesn’t make any sense because just because I like music doesn’t mean that Joe should get an iPod. A way to make the argument and premise make sense would be if I said “I love to listen to music so Joe should get a IPod so I can share my love of music with him”. This argument makes more sense and allows the audience to follow what I say and where my argument is going.  

2 comments:

  1. Hey AdamTValdivia, I really liked the example you used. The original argument you gave made no sense. It showed a premise that didn't really tie in with the conclusion, so its easy to see that it needs to be repaired, and the way you selectred to repair it definitely works! There are many different angles you can approach this argument in order to fix it. For example, I would have changed the argument to: "I love listening to music, so I got an ipod which allows me to listen to my music anywhere! Joe also likes listening to music, so he should get an ipod too!" This makes the argument a lot stronger, and I can make it ever stronger by adding in more details on why the ipod is better over other mp3 players.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before an argument is repaired we must know the principle of rational discussion. The person saying or reading the argument must have knowledge of the discussion, not be biased, and no lying. By this a premises can be added to a claim if and only if the argument becomes stronger or valid. But we cannot forget that we don't want an argument to beg the question. The example you used on repairing arguments is a good one. By adding more to the premises and making the conclusion flow, the argument was made stronger. Good use of a premise indicator because it is putting a flag on the claim.

    ReplyDelete